My patients know that I am a fan of meal prepping. If you set yourself up for success, there is less room to fail! For most of us, our days are long and full. This is often why we reach for fast food or skip meals. Planning ahead means most of the work is done already!
I get up early (445am!) and fit my exercise in before work. I also have two dogs that need to be walked before work so my mornings start off busy. I know my early morning is the only uninterrupted time of my day, so I’ve learned to love it. Believe me – it wasn’t easy to start getting up that early – particularly when it is dark and raining! But sure enough, after 3 weeks…it got easier.
One thing I like to prepare ahead of time in batches and freeze are my Plantain Protein Pancakes! I got the recipe from the cookbook Fed & Fit by Cassy Joy Garcia. You can find her on Instagram @fedandfit!
I make a double batch in my Vitamix and freeze half. It would also work in a food processor.
Ingredients for a single batch:
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 scoops unflavoured protein powder (I used pea protein)
- 3 large eggs
- 1-teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, ghee, or coconut oil, or more as needed – I used a healthy non-stick pan so didn’t actually use the ghee!
- Combine the plantains, protein powder, eggs, vanilla, and salt until smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter onto medium hot pan, at desired size. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Top with fruit, nut butters. Maple syrup if you must!
These pancakes are good warm or cold and are a perfect post workout meal!